What to do with leftover potatoes, I thought to myself. Then the idea to turn them into Tortilla de Patatas came to mind. It is actually a pretty handy recipe as you can add anything lying around in your fridge that is quickly turning bad. The recipe is based on potatoes and eggs. The rest is up to your imagination. 🙂
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 5 potatoes
- 7 eggs
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Optional: veggies, bacon, spinach, …
- Peel and chop the potatoes.
- Put a pot on the stove and cook the potatoes for 5 minutes. Add salt.
- Chop onions, veggies and other ingredients you like to add.
- Broil onions, veggies and such until a golden tone appears. Add salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the eggs in a large bowl. Pinch the yolk before mixing it as the mixture will turn out smother. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the rinsed potatoes to the pan with onions and the rest and broil a few minutes with plenty of olive oil. Stir well.
- Add the combined ingredients to the large bowl and stir well to mix with the eggs.
- Pour the whole mix back into the pan and put a lid on it. Set on stove on very low temperature. Depending on how thick the mixture is, let sit on one side for 15 minutes. Then flip the cake over and let sit for another 5 minutes. Use a large plate or the lid to topple the cake over.
Note: With potatoes and eggs you almost can’t use too much salt.